Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY)
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) aims at e-Development of India as the engine for transition into a developed nation and an empowered society
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) works for promotion of e-Governance for empowering citizens, promoting the inclusive and sustainable growth of the electronics, IT & ITeS industries, enhancing India’s role in internet governance, adopting a multipronged approach that includes development of human resources, promoting R&D and innovation, enhancing efficiency through digital services and ensuring a secure cyber space. The MeitY deals with policy matters relating to information technology, electronics, and internet; promotion of internet, IT and IT enabled services, digital transactions, provides assistance to other departments in the promotion of E-Governance, E- Commerce, E- Medicine, E- Infrastructure, etc, IT enabled education system, cyber laws, manufacturing of semiconductor devices, interaction in IT related matters with international agencies, bridging the digital divide in society etc. The MeitY also promotes standardization, testing and quality in IT and standardization of procedure for IT application and tasks, development of hardware/software industry, etc.
The mandates of the Ministry are:
- e-Government: Providing e-infrastructure for delivery of e-services.
- e-Industry: Promotion of electronics hardware manufacturing and IT-ITeS industry.
- e-Innovation / R&D: Implementation of R&D Framework - Enabling creation of Innovation/ R&D Infrastructure in emerging areas of ICT&E/Establishment of mechanism for R&D translation.
- e-Learning: Providing support for development of e-Skills and Knowledge network.
- e-Security: Securing India’s cyber space.
- e-Inclusion: Promoting the use of ICT for more inclusive growth.
- Internet Governance: Enhancing India’s role in Global Platforms of Internet Governance.