Department of Biotechnology (DBT)
Attaining new heights in biotechnology research, shaping biotechnology into a premier precision tool of the Mute For creation of wealth and ensuring social justice-specially for the welfare of the poor
The Department of Biotechnology is the nodal agency supporting research and its applications in the Life Sciences and promotes & accelerates the pace of development and large scale use of biotechnology in the country. The department has made significant achievements in the growth and application of biotechnology in the broad areas of agriculture, health care, animal sciences, environment, and industry. The department has ensured that through several R&D projects, demonstrations and creation of infrastructural facilities a clear visible impact of this field has been seen.
The setting up of the department in 1986 gave a new impetus to the development of the field of modern biology and biotechnology in India. In more than a decade of its existence, the department has promoted and accelerated the pace of development of biotechnology in the country. The department has made significant achievements in the growth and application of biotechnology in the broad areas of agriculture, health care, animal sciences, environment, and industry.
The mandates of the Department are:
- Promoting large scale use of Biotechnology
- Supporting R&D and manufacturing in Biology
- Responsibility for Autonomous Institutions
- Promoting University and Industry Interaction
- Identifying and Set up Centres of Excellence for R&D
- Integrated Programme for Human Resource Development
- Serving as Nodal Point for specific International Collaborations
- Establishment of Infrastructure Facilities to support R&D and production
- Evolving Bio Safety Guidelines, manufacture and application of cell based vaccines
- Serving as nodal point for the collection and dissemination of information relating to biotec