विज्ञान और प्रौद्योगिकी विभाग (डीएसटी)
Nodal department for S&T activities in India, expanding horizons by promoting new areas in the field
Department of Science & Technology (DST) is the nodal department for organising, coordinating and promoting Science & Technology (S&T) activities in the country and for expanding horizons of S&T by promoting new areas in the field. The department formulates policies relating to S&T, handles matters relating to the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Cabinet (SACC) and promotes new areas of S&T with special emphasis on emerging areas through R&D in its research institutions or laboratories.
Established in 1971, the department also co-ordinates and integrates areas of S&T having cross-sectoral linkages in which a number of institutions and departments have interest and capabilities, undertakes or sponsoring scientific and technological surveys, research design and development, where necessary undertakes work on futurology and provides support and Grants-in-aid to Scientific Research Institutions, Scientific Associations and Bodies.
DST also has major responsibilities for specific projects and programmes on all matters related to:
- Science and Engineering Research Board
- Technology Development Board
- National Council for Science and Technology Communication
- National Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board
- International Science and Technology Cooperation including appointment of scientific attaches abroad (These functions shall be exercised in close cooperation with the Ministry of External Affairs)
- Autonomous Science and Technology Institutions relating to the subject under the Department of Science and Technology including Institute of Astro-physics, and Institute of Geo-magnetism
- Professional Science Academies promoted and funded by Department of Science and Technology
- Matters commonly affecting Scientific and technological departments/organisations/ institutions e.g. financial, personnel, purchase and import policies and practices
- Management Information Systems for Science and Technology and coordination thereof.
- Promotion of Science and Technology at the State, District, and Village levels for grass- roots development through State Science and Technology Councils and other mechanisms
- Application of Science and Technology for weaker sections, women and other disadvantaged sections of Society